October 7th, 2013

AND THERE IS DEFINITELY A VERY GOOD REASON FOR IT AND IT'S NOT THAT I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON.

Just a heads up -- due to a pretty intense unrelated comic project I'm doing for an anthology, I'm gonna have to skip a week in October -- I've decided to skip the week before Halloween so you can get Halloweeny filler instead! :"D I think this year's costume theme will be Disney movies! I've got almost everyone's costume picked out but some people have suggested hilarious alternatives, so I'm tempted to do a Reader's Choice sketch as well. >u>;; WE'LL SEE HOW IT GOES.

The vote incentive talks a little bit more about the sign. c:

Comment by NoRAd

I think they've sucesfully spooked him now. I also think Tareth will find a way to convince the guy to help him runewrite food and or water into his stomach or something. It's magic. I don't gotta explain $#!&.

P.S. I SWEAR I'M NOT BEING IMPATIENT!
I just tend to vote when I already have my shirt off :D

posted at 3:19am on October 8th, 2013

Comment by Wabbajack

This really just isn't doctor dude's day, is it. XD Come on man. Do a good deed. Help a jerk out.

posted at 3:34am on October 8th, 2013

Comment by Klaxsun

the bunny-ostrich-chocobo is perpetually surprised.

posted at 8:51am on October 8th, 2013

Comment by Wabbajack

So when the Medic sign turns upside down, it's W for Witch? Is that why Iavin has a black upside-down M on his face? /gosh I know that's probably a stupid question XD

posted at 9:15am on October 8th, 2013

Not stupid at all! Iavin's tattoo hasn't been really explained or addressed. :")

posted at 4:24pm on October 11th, 2013

Comment by Riverfox237

The correct answer is, "He never left, he's been lying unconscious outside your door for the last hour. You jerk. 8I"

Yeah, just try and argue with the frantic, sweet little concerned deaf girl. JUST TRY.

posted at 12:11pm on October 8th, 2013

Also, he is a double jerk for not helping a princess. 8D

And honestly, poor Xira is so ... I don't know there must be a trope for it "Being surprised by things that the audience knew for ages, but actually those things are genuinely surprising still it makes him look oblivious"

"Wow, he was so close..." It's hilarious though and even more so because you draw great faces Shazz. First panel Xira is so descriptive.

posted at 3:40pm on October 8th, 2013

THAT CORRECT ANSWER IS ACTUALLY A GOOD POINT. xD

posted at 5:13pm on October 11th, 2013

Comment by Tehbeefer

I'm guessing not so many people hang up sign's outside their shops proclaiming to the world they're a \∧/itch. We haven't seen what blue is yet, so I've no guesses there, but if Jonan wanted improve his public image he could hang up a /v\ortician sign...mmmaybe not.

posted at 1:15am on October 9th, 2013

That miiiiiight be false advertising, since generally a mortician is expected to actually bury the bodies put in their charge and I'm gonna guess that about 90% of bodies Jonan received would not be returned to the earth for some time. >_>

posted at 4:27pm on October 11th, 2013

Reply by Tehbeefer

Of course they get buried, they just don't stay that way long. Alternatively, for a small fee you can have your loved one be one of the pallbearers XP

posted at 6:37pm on October 12th, 2013

Yeah, the stylized symbols that can mean several different things? Not such a good idea to use, guys. I mean, you're expecting the healer to mend your broken arm and they're all turning your lead to gold? Or you go to ask the earth bender to move a landslide and they try to hit you with lightning? Inconsistent indeed.

posted at 1:22am on October 9th, 2013

Yeahhhhh this is what happens when your government is basically composed of a bunch of city-states that all just agreed to be a country and there's not any kind of standardisation between them.
In general people aren't actually used to a consistent system, though, so most people know to check. xD

posted at 5:12pm on October 11th, 2013

Comment by Obligatonym

Hmm... the Artist is the source of all magic, eh? That... that is worrying considering recent theories surrounding aberrants and the like.

Also, I wonder if the signs are colour coded to reduce confusion.

Also, also, I wonder why anyone would feel the need to hire an energybender. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a cool power... it's just that it doesn't seem to be the sorta power that lends itself well to the kinda job where you'd have your own store or whatever.

As for alchemists, I wonder what their powers are beyond wrecking the economy. I mean, the power to transmute objects seems ridiculously useful.

Come to think of it, looking at the setting, there's an apparent power disparity between all the different kinds of runewriters. I wonder if people in the setting petition for the Artist to nerf certain runewriters.

posted at 9:14am on October 9th, 2013

Reply by keith_m043

maybe energy benders recharge appliances like enchanters recharge weapons and staves in Skyrim.

posted at 11:49am on October 9th, 2013

Reply by Tama-chan

Wh-when did runewriters become benders? O.o

posted at 3:27am on October 11th, 2013

(Ehhh, I call the Captain Planet kids "benders," I think it's just shorthand for "person who manipulates the elements." xD )

posted at 4:46pm on October 11th, 2013

Maybe not useful for running a store, but advertising that you're a runewriter and are hireable as such makes a lot of sense. Taking just the powers, earth elementals could be EXTREMELY useful for architectural stuff; runewriters with both water and air tend to get some weather control abilities -- there are a lot of ways it could come up depending on what runes each elemental specifically has. Then you consider combining it with anything -- a cook with water or fire magic; or like, if you were a fire elemental who decided to use your extra control over fire and heat to make pottery? Or glass? Or swords? I'm not an expert on any of those processes but it seems like it could totally give you an edge.
A lot of runewriters aren't just MAGES, and combine their little extra magical talent with their job. So it probably wouldn't come up in the simplified way the vote incentive portrays it, but it would still come up. :")

posted at 4:45pm on October 11th, 2013

Comment by Karen

In theory, I suppose shapeshifters could just use the right-hand side... By process of elimination, if there are four main types of runewriters (or ARE THERE? Miss Reflector may indicate otherwise! dundunduuunnnn) and three have easily-correlated symbols (not that a witch would WANT to use the W), anyone sufficiently familiar with the root symbol would be able to understand. But yeah, definitely less intuitive... Also I'm not sure what sort of services a shapeshifter would have to offer aside from alchemy. Maybe finding missing people / fetching items dropped in small spaces / ...?

posted at 11:37am on October 9th, 2013

Reply by keith_m043

Uh,Sev *had* a job at the beginning of the story as a shapeshifter. Also I suspect shapeshifters would serve as the muscle in any rune writer mafias that happen to be running around. >:}

posted at 12:14pm on October 9th, 2013

Honestly, in a place like Dhemin, where there's a whole bunch of people and therefore a decent number of runewriters, you could probably just start using it. I think if they ever standardised the symbol use, that's likely what they would do.

And keith has a major one! Shapeshifters can very easily serve as muscle, not to mention having a really enhanced ability to work with animals.

posted at 4:51pm on October 11th, 2013

So the main deity is called the Artist... I see what you did there. XD

posted at 3:45pm on October 9th, 2013

Reply by Random Passerby

Actually, I do have some relevant things to say, that a reread won't reveal to be stupid:

1) Have you done Xira's D&D stats yet? XD

2) Has anyone fanarted Sev flying with Tareth and Jonan on his back, Xira and Hache running alongside? If not, I may have to do it.

3) Hache and Necropony may have to duel for the cutect animal sidekick award.

posted at 7:13pm on October 9th, 2013

Ahahaha I haven't done Xira's stats! I'd have to ponder that one. He'd have a decent CHA but I honestly think he might have INT as his highest. Not sure about his dump stat......

We can just give Necropony "cutest undead sidekick" and let Hache have the animal sidekick award. I don't feel like cutest undead sidekick would really be hotly contested.

(also one of my FAVOURITE comments of all has been something to the effect of--
"wait do your characters worship you. is that what is happening here."
I laughed and laughed and still get a kick out of it. xD)

posted at 5:05pm on October 11th, 2013

Comment by Dance w/ Dragons

Hache is an awesome name for a bunny-chocobo, even if he's far too adorable to be a poleaxe. XD

posted at 7:44am on October 10th, 2013

Comment by Wabbajack

Out of curiosity, do you say Hache's name like "hach-EY" or what? I've been saying kind of like "harch (like march) EY (like hay)". Or do you just say it like "haych"?

posted at 8:18am on October 14th, 2013

Reply by Obligatonym

I wondered this too. The problem is that "hache" can be pronounced in so many different ways.

The "h" can be silent or not.

The "a" can be long or short.

The "ch" can be a regular "ch" sound, or it can be like a "k", or a "sh", or probably a bunch of other sounds depending on the language.

The "e" can be silent or not; can also be magical or serve any number of other arcane purposes.

(Though that said, I'll probably continue to read it as "haych", regardless of the official pronunciation.)

posted at 12:45pm on October 14th, 2013

Reply by Wabbajack

... Seems legit.

Then again, I'm one of those people who tries out funny accents occasionally. Maybe that's coming into play with the way I think of the word.

Though I'm wondering how Shazzbaa's brain interprets it as well. She's the boss here! Hehehe.

posted at 1:48pm on October 14th, 2013

As always, I encourage everyone to pronounce character names however they like! :"D But the way I pronounce it rhymes with "watch" and "day" with an "h" as in "hatchet." c:

posted at 4:24pm on October 14th, 2013

Reply by Wabbajack

Eeee~ I think I'll continue to say Harch-Ey then, haha! I'm not sure how Americans say "watch" though, so I'm going to have to use my imagination on how you pronounce it lol. XD

posted at 5:16am on October 15th, 2013

Reply by Random Passerby

I've been saying it Hatch-ee. Like, the "hatch" in hatchet, with an ee sound instead of a T. I think it sounds cuter.

posted at 3:03pm on January 1st, 2015

Comment by Karma Squirrel

Tareth's expression in the last panel. D:
/omigosh how could you say that you're a terrible person!/ *pause for breath*

posted at 4:26pm on September 15th, 2017